Fife Women’s Tent is a joint initiative with Fife Council Community Learning and Development. This work was established two years ago under the banner of Fife Women and Inclusion in Politics. The members changed the project’s name to Fife Women’s Tent in early 2020 and planned a number of events for the year. Due to the pandemic, all events were cancelled and a Facebook group was promptly created on 23 March 2020 to continue the engagement and the work of bringing together disabled, minority ethnic, transgender, and other marginalised women to promote positive physical, emotional and mental wellbeing for all marginalised women in Fife. This group does this by encouraging all its members to make positive connections and support each other in these troubled times.
“A wee ditty, in appreciation.
There once was a tent just for women
In a braw place they call Fife
And in that tent, what happens?
We share our image of Life.
There’s a team who keep us thinking
Occupying our creative minds
With competitions and suggestions a plenty
To spark off some thoughts in our mind
Through hard times it’s been a real saviour
and now, as we loosen the ties
Just can’t wait for the party
To meet everyone and say Hi!!!“
Since the start of the Facebook group, the members have organised weekly live music concerts, yoga classes and storytelling sessions. We also ran monthly challenges as follows:
Fife Women’s Tent 2021 Challenges:
- November 2021 – Wildlife, Bugs and Exploration
- October 2021 – Chain Writing
- September 2021 – Precious Memories
- August 2021 – Zero Food Waste
- July 2021 – Sunrise and Sunset
- June 2021 – Comedy
- May 2021 – Metamorphosis
- April 2021 – New Beginnings!
- March 2021 – International Women’s Day Celebrations
- February 2021 – Chinese New Year and Spring Celebrations
- January 2021- Yarn and Knitted Creations
Fife Women’s Tent 2020 Challenges:
- December 2020 – Homemade Festive Decorations
- November 2020 – Self-Care Advice and Ideas
- October 2020 – Month of Art
- September 2020 – Cooking for Less than £10 Home Recipes
- August 2020 – Pamper Packs
- July 2020 – Covid Haiku
- June 2020 – Flower Arrangement (music credits: www.bensound.com)
- May 2020 – Freedom Poetry Competition (music credits: www.bensound.com)
- April 2020 – Tips on maintain positive physical, emotional and mental wellbeing
The group added its own book club in October 2020. Their first book choice was ‘How to be a Woman’ by Caitlin Moran. The book club’s second choice was “The Red Tent” by Anita Diamant.
Check out the Fife Women’s Tent Facebook group! The aim is to promote positive physical, emotional and mental wellbeing for marginalised women in Fife by encouraging them to make positive connections and support each other in these troubled times.
International Women’s Day Celebration at the Scottish Parliament
Six of us represented Fife Women and Inclusion in Politics at the IWD celebration at the Scottish Parliament organised by Scottish Women Convention. The event was well attended by women across Scotland. It was quite an experience sitting at the Chambers listening to successful women talking about their views on gender equality.
Here are a few photos we took of ourselves at the event: